- MPP for the riding of Parkdale—High Park from 1999 – 2006 and for the riding of York South from 1996 – 1999
- Member of provincial cabinet from 2003 – 2006 (Minister of Education)
- Federal MP for the riding of Parkdale—High Park from 2008 – 2011
If elected, Kennedy would:
- Use negotiation and bargaining, rather than legislation, when it comes to new teacher contracts. Kennedy is the only candidate who has called Bill 115 a mistake.
- Kennedy has the advantage of being able to distance himself from the McGuinty government, since he has not worked for them for six years, but he stands behind its full-day kindergarten initiative and the rurally-unpopular Green Energy Act.
- Former MPP George Smitherman
- Former MPP Steve Peters
Odds of victory:
- When it comes to winning leadership races, Kennedy certainly has his own record against him. He lost the Ontario Liberal leadership to Dalton McGuinty in 1996 and the federal Liberal leadership to Stéphane Dion in 2006. Third time’s a charm?
Photo sourced from the Waterloo Record.
More information available on Kennedy’s campaign website: http://www.gerardkennedy.ca/